About Me-An Attempt

I am just a minute entity in the myriad of thoughts, reflections and introspection. The definition of "About Me" becomes a piecewise approach as opposed to an integrated one.

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Whose Mumbai Is It Anyway?

I recently went through this article that claimed that Mumbai has lost it's Marathi Ethos.After having read it,I could not agree with the author less.

The author talks about how the once Maratha dominated Mumbai is now the field of play for every Indian from all across the country.In this context,he feels that the glory that used to synonimous with the city is now on the decline.The city of textile mills,according to him,has been swept by an array of multi-storied buildings and in the process of globalization,has lost it's identity.

I have been one of the "outsiders" to city.Having spent the better part of my life here,I have actually seen the city evolve and develop into the powerhouse it is today.On some occasions,even New York City comes a far second compared to Aamchi Mumbai.I am sure there will be thousands like me who support my view.

The Parsis turned this city to a financial hub.The mantle was carried on by industrialist J.R.D.Tata,then Dhirubhai Ambani,then the Birlas and the trend continues to grow with Ratan Tata,Kumaramangalam Birla,Mukesh and Anil Ambani.These people put the city and eventually the country on the global map.

What is it about the city that draws people to it like a moth to a flame?The vibrance,the acceptance by it's people and above all the never say die attitude of the inhabitants of this wonderful wonderful city.The author in the column goes on to add that during the bomb blasts,only the people of the chawls came to the rescue of the affected.While I agree with him on the fact that these people were there to help first but the others were not far behind.I was there when the blasts happened.I could see the city being overcome by humanitarian approaches.For once,walls of society were broken.A lot of innocent people shought refuge behind sheltered environments and not once was the hierarchical order brought into play.It is during these times that we forget our positions in society to help human-kind.

During the recent train blasts,I was overjoyed to see Mumbai take to the street to help the victims.I know that nowhere in the world will you see such compassion.So to disagree with the author that Mumbai has lost itself to non-Maharashtrians,I would like to add that Mumbai has rediscovered herself in new hands!

It is important in this age to progress rapidly with technologial advances.But,if we remember our roots,our origination,our culture,we are doing more than our share of keeping the spirit of India alive.To sit back and revel at the past and brooding over it is an act of foolishness.But to remember that past and move on..that's progress.

I am an Indian,born in the temple city of Madurai,spent my pre-teens in New Delhi,tempered in Mumbai and surviving in USA.I represent the spirit of Mumbai.I am a Mumbaikar!

No comments: