About Me-An Attempt

I am just a minute entity in the myriad of thoughts, reflections and introspection. The definition of "About Me" becomes a piecewise approach as opposed to an integrated one.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Luxury to Poverty..All in a blog!


I had the opportunity to view the day to day activities that happen at Deep Griha Society in Pune courtesy my sis who went there. I would like to mention that at this time, I am humbled more than ever. As modernization engulfs the world, people tend to get lost in the materialistic world to no ends.

We need to be thankful for the presence we have in society, a good education provided by our parents, who burn the midnight oil to make ends meet. Seeing these children at Deep Griha Society was an eye opener on the hardships the young children go through. Most of them being orphans, completely rely on the institution for their food, clothing and shelter-essentials we take for granted.

They say that "Luxury becomes a necessity when the neighbourhood has it". How true! The picture above shows that young minds of tomorrow are still in dire poverty. We talk at length about globalization and economic foundations, but can't we dedicate a small portion of our wallets for these kids? There is another instituition "Udavum Karangal"-translated to helping hands. This organization is based in Chennai and is doing very good work to feed, educate and shelter orphaned kids. There are plenty of selfless social workers who dedicate their lives for these kids. Blessed are these people who give expecting nothing in return.

I am not urging anyone to donate any money. Nor am I propagating any organization. All I am asking is to take some time off to think about the world outside shopping malls and excessive spending. I am sure you will get lost in introspection. Just like me...

Anyway, on a lighter note..hearty congratulations to my sis, who became a graduate with honours. Welcome to the world of ignorance....But then again it is bliss ain't it???

No comments: